Monday, August 29, 2011

It's time to start a conversation. For too long we, as Tennessee Democrats, have refused to listen to one another. We have talked to each other. Goodness knows we've had enough trainings and meetings and forums and facebook groups and meet-ups to clog up every one's inbox and Google calendar, but what have we got to show for it? A Republican Governor, 34 seats in the House and 13 in the Senate to be precise.

So what's the problem here? The problem is that somewhere during out 140 year majority reign, we forgot how to listen to and deal with each other as Democrats. Now we find ourselves deeply in the minority with even more losses to come courtesy of redistricting.

So how do we fix it? That is the million dollar question. In short-I have no easy answers. I do know, however, that we won't solve it by ignoring each other as democrats and dividing ourselves into these asinine sub-groups of liberals v. moderates, unions v. business, rural v. urban, Nashville v. Knoxville v. Memphis, pro-party v. anti-party, old guard v. young turk or any other ridiculous subdivision playing out in comment sections on blogs and facebook groups that span the Tennessee Democratic sphere.

And that is why I've started this blog. We need to start a respectful dialogue about who we are as Tennessee Democrats. This blog is my contribution to that discussion. You may not like what I have to say. You may find my pro-marriage equality sentiments too liberal on one day, only to find my NRA membership too conservative on another. On this blog, however, you can always depend on honesty, respect and an earnest love for the Tennessee Democratic Party.

On a final note, I will try to post once or twice a week. Most of the post will deal with current political topics in Tennessee and how we, as Democrats, react to them. I have chosen to do this anonymously because of my job. I hope this blog will accomplish a few things. One, I hope it will disseminate information that otherwise would have remained unreported by the media at large. Two, I hope it will serve as new kind of conversation where viewpoints are presented in a precise, but respectful and serious manner. Three, I hope it will help us rebuild the party we all love.

No comments:

Post a Comment